Up to $1000 scholarship per academic semester
Are you enjoying your education? Do you have great plans for a career? Do you see yourself making a significant impact on humanity?
ILIA believes in your potential to make a difference. ILIA realizes that college expenses should not get in the way of your ambitions. We offer a competitive scholarship of up to $1000 (minimum $500) to students who would meet the scholarship criteria below. Funds are limited, so hurry!
- A full-time junior or senior in an accredited 4 year college or university in the USA
- Major GPA of 3.3 or higher and general GPA of 3.0
- Completion of an essay explaining why the scholarship is of significance
- Completion of an online application (Click here for application)
- Not related to a board member of ILIA, its officers, the organizing team of Race 2 College, or the evaluation committee.
- Scholarships will be awarded without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or state of physical handicap.
- Area of study is consistent with Islamic morals, values and principles.
- Agreement to all guidelines of the scholarship.
What to Submit
- An online application – available here
- Proof of enrollment and GPA (unofficial transcript)
- Four letters of recommendation submitted by email on letterhead; two of which are from a college faculty member and two from a supervisor, mentor, coach or leader who can provide objective opinion on applicant’s academic, professional and personal traits.
- Resume / CV
- An essay of up to 2000 words including the following:
- Career plan
- Vision of your impact on humanity
- Statement of financial need (up to 250 words)
- A second essay of 500 words, discussing “Impact of Higher Education on the Empowerment of Local Communities and its Role in Economic Development”. Must include references, an argument, rationale and evidence of the opinions presented.
Evaluation Process and Criteria
Each scholarship application will be evaluated by ILIA Race2College committee based on the merit of the submitted material and financial need. Selected applicants will be invited for an oral interview with one or more members of the committee. A final score will be based on both the submitted material and the interview. Official transcripts and additional material may be requested before the oral interview.
Important Dates for Spring 2013
- Nov 20, 2012: Applications open
- Dec 31, 2012: Application submission, essay and supporting documentation submission
- Jan 8, 2012: Notification of shortlisted applicants of oral interview
- Jan 15, 2012: Notification of scholarship
- Jan 21, 2012: Receiving official transcripts from educational instituition directly for notified applicants
- Jan 21, 2012: Scholarship disbursement
- Organization of essay and overall proofing
- Clarity of communication
- Appeal to reader (motivation)
- Thoughtfulness (relevance to self, community, society and world)
- Clarity of vision (thought leadership and vision quality)
- Comprehensiveness (completeness covering professional and social aspects)
- Aspiration (realistic, clarity, value proposition)
- Grounding in Islamic moral values and principles
- Evidence of potential leadership
- All submitted documents, essays and application material will become property of Race 2 College.
- Race 2 College has the right to publish the essay “Impact of Higher Education on the Empowerment of Local Communities and its Role in Economic Development” for public consumption, and the each published essay will be attributed to its author.
- Applicants not awarded a scholarship are encouraged to reapply the following semester.
- Race 2 College may at its discretion check and references.
Please join our mail-list at http://www.islamicleadership.org/subscribe-to-mail-list/ to be informed of updates or changes.